John Jay College Logo


Application for graduation
Graduation is NOT automatic. Both undergraduate and graduate students must complete an application for degree either via the Graduation Audit Link or at the Registrarís Office. Applications should be submitted during the first two weeks of your final semester and before each semesterís deadline. The last day to apply for Spring 2012 degree to attend commencement is Wednesday, March 7th, 2012.

Degrees are conferred three times a year:

  • February (Finishing in Fall semester)
  • June ( Finishing in Spring semester)
  • September (Finishing in Summer Semester)

Students who applied by the deadline for February, June, and September graduation will find their names on the graduation list online. This list does not constitute approval of graduation. All errors, omission, etc. need to be reported to the Registrar's Office as soon as possible. Note: Your name will appear in the commencement book and your diploma as it is on the list.

All graduate students must be registered in the semester they graduate. However, graduate students registered for the Spring semester do not need to register for the Summer semester to graduate.
If you are not taking courses, all graduate students must register for Maintenance of Matriculation (MAM 791). There is no fee for undergraduates. The MAM 791 fee for graduates is $170 (in-state) or $280 (out of state) effective Fall 2011. According to the Board of Trustee guidelines this fee is NON-REFUNDABLE and CANNOT be waived.

All requirements must be met by the date of graduation. This includes the submission and approval of thesis/major project, comprehensive exam (s), all PERMITS, and Incomplete grades. 

To be eligible for the associate degree, candidates must complete at least 60 credits (for transfer students - 50% of the 60 credits must be completed at John Jay). To be eligible for the baccalaureate degree, candidates must complete at least 120 credits (for transfer students - at least 50% percent of their major and 30 credits at John Jay).

To be eligible for graduation:

  • All undergraduate degree candidates must have completed all prescribed courses, passed all required tests, fulfilled the requirements of their major, and achieved at least a C average (2.0 overall grade point average).
  • Graduate degree candidates must have achieved at least a B average (3.0 overall grade point average).
  • Combined degree candidates (BA/MA, BS/MA, BA/MPA, BS/MPA) must have achieved at least a 3.5 overall grade point average. A minimum of (134 credits) required except for CRJ thesis track students (128 credits).


Incomplete grades and grade appeals

  • A baccalaureate degree candidate will be removed from the graduation list if a grade(s) of incomplete is received during the last semester for graduation. A baccalaureate degree can not be conferred with an incomplete grade(s) in the record.


  • Once a baccalaureate degree is conferred, no letter grade(s) can be changed or modified. This rule supersedes the change of grade rule. It is the degree candidatesí responsibility to check their final grade at the end of each semester.
  • It is the degree candidatesí responsibility to notify the Registrarís Office if there is any outstanding grade appeal on file or if they wish to file for a grade appeal before a degree is conferred

Credit Deduction
Before graduation, credits will be deducted for the following: 

  • Unauthorized repeats
  • Excess remedial credits and duplicate credits

Credit Requirements

The minimum number of credits to graduate must be completed. This varies based upon the degree. Approved waivers of course requirements do not substitute for meeting the minimum number of credits required for graduation.

Associate in Science degrees

60 credits Ė 90 credits max

Bachelor of Art degrees

120 credits

Bachelor of Science degrees

120 credits

Combined degrees

134 credits (CRJ Thesis Track 128 credits)

Masters degrees

Varies based upon degree

Graduating with Honors
Students graduating with honors will be noted in the commencement program and will be given academic cords to wear with their cap and gown. Your cord will be distributed to you along with your cap and gown. There is no additional charge for the academic cord and there is no additional paperwork required for the student. The cords will be ordered automatically for students based on honors status information provided by the Office of the Registrar. To be eligible for honors, a student must complete at least 56 credits at the College. Students who entered the College with an associate degree qualify for these honors with a minimum of 52 credits earned at the College. Honors are based on the prior term cumulative grade point average. Honors are not calculated for graduate students. Baccalaureate students qualify for three levels of academic honor:   

  • Summa Cum Laude (with highest distinction - 3.90 or higher)
  • Magna Cum Laude (with great distinction - 3.75 - 3.89)
  • Cum Laude (with distinction - 3.50 - 3.74)

Records are sealed at graduation.

No changes may be made to the academic record (transcript) after degree has been awarded.

Name on record
Names of candidates for graduation/graduates will appear in the Commencement Program/diploma as they appear on students' academic record (transcript).

All obligations whether academic or financial must be cleared before your records will be released.

Disclaimer - The information presented in these pages represent the most commonly asked questions/problems related to degree audit. It does not supersede the John Jay College of Criminal Justice Catalogue. Students are responsible for all regulations and requirements as stipulated in the John Jay College of Criminal Justice Catalogue. This page was last updated on 01/20/2012.